Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

I've been trying to avoid the ATM lately. My goal is to see if I can keep my cash spending to less than 60 bucks each week. This is difficult given the number of times I eat out for lunch each week and the number of times I go dancing. I need cash at many places I go, but I'm not much of a fan of good ol' fashioned cash. I'd much rather be a member of the cashless society (you know, the one that is going to take over the world and plunge us into Armageddon).

In order to save me a trip to the ATM, I chose to cash in my change jar. Yes. Yes. I know that a trip to the ATM would have taken less time. Yes. Yes. I know that the damned Coinstar machines charge a ridiculous premium to sort and count the change.

I'm standing at the Coinstar machine, talking to my little brother. He can't hear anything but the change being sorted, and I can't hear anything that he is saying. The coins are being tallied up. Dollars, 50 cent (the coin, not the rapper) pieces, quarters, dimes, nickels (again, coins not bags filled with contraband), and pennies (yes, the most pointless coin in America), oh my!

Everything tallies up to $110.55! Now, some people might think that this is a butt load of change. I can certainly agree that from a given perspective, $110.55 is a large quantity of change. Even the girl at the cash register (who I know from a swing dance class I took at Moorpark College many moons ago) asked the question: "Who has this much change?"

The funny thing is that I've cashed in my change jar for as much as $160 before, so this was actually a small payout compared to other times. Damn pennies! So, there it is folks. The old adage, "A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned", still hold true today. I just need to add to it:

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned is a Penny Spent

... And a trip to the ATM saved :-)

technorati tags:, , , , , ,

Blogged with Flock

No comments: